Ca. 1789 Brodrick's Tavern
Brodrick's Tavern began with the very beginning of Washington. On May 26, 1789, the first Mason County Court held in Washington, granted David Brodrick the first tavern license issued. John Kenton, brother of the famous Simon Kenton, signed as his security. Earlier, Brodrick and his wife, Mary, had purchased the property where the tavern was to be built and paid for the land in English currency. As David Brodrick was granted permission "to keep an ordinary in his house" it seems only fitting that Washington, more than 200 years later, have a "house of entertainment" typical of this part of its early culture. The travelers could stable or pasture his horse quench his thirst with ale, cyder or port, partake of a warm supper, sleep on a pallet in the tavern loft and for an extra shilling, even have clean sheets for cover.
From that time on and for more than 150 years, there was a succession of owners. In 1973 the late Miss Margaret Wood Stevenson left the property to the Mason County Historical Society. They improved it and leased it to Mary Green who moved The Harbeson here.
Today the quaint restaurant, which seats 147, with 7 dining rooms, 2 kitchens, waitress station, 3 bathrooms, 2 porches and 2 halls - a turnkey operation with fully equipped kitchen, dishes, silverware, glassware, pots and pans, tablecloths - was available to purchase or rent.
Sadly, the historic landmark, Brodrick's Tavern, burned on April 26, 2001.