Early Picture of Pillsbury Boy's School

After Picture

1976 When Purchased - Before Picture

1812 Pillsbury Boy's School

 Built circa 1812 - In 1865 Zerelda Pillsbury purchased for $500 and established her school.  Here many prominent
Kentuckians were educated.  In 1976 it was purchased and restored by Phyllis and David Helphenstine.  Now furnished in
period antiques the Pillsbury House has the distinction of being on the National Register of Historic Places.  Among the main
hall's significant details are the gold leafed pier mirror with marble topped table reaching from floor to ceiling.  It is here the
hostess would check to be sure her petticoats were not showing before opening the door to receive guests.  There is a silver
calling card holder and a candle stand at the base of the stairway with candles to light one's way to bed each night.    Other
appointments include oil portraits, the framed Register certificate, an original oil of the Pillsbury, wall sconce with prisms and
Old Paris vases.  The wallpaper on both halls and the living room is an 1860 replica brocade.  All the mantles in the home are
original, as are the built in presses on each side of the fireplace on both floors, and the front stairway.  Group tours available.  
P.O. Box 111, Washington, KY 41096-0111, Phone & Fax: (606)-759-7423.

 The living room has a tea table set for tea, tilt-top card table with one of the astral lamps, rosewood fireplace screens that
adjust up and down to protect the ladies face from chapping while keeping warm by the fireplace. One of the presses holds
Mary Gregory cranberry glass.

 The dining room's wallpaper is also a replica of an 1860's pattern found on the walls of Belle Meade Mansion in Virginia.  
Furnishings include a Ca 1700 server, sideboard with biscuit turnings, side tables, a knife box, and a tea caddy with lock (as
tea was very valuable and they did not want the servants to get into it).

 The kitchen originally was a separate building because they caught on fire so often.  Today's kitchen features 1840 cabinets
taken from the butler's pantry from a home in downtown Maysville, Maysville bricks under and in back of the stove, a dry
sink, pewter cupboard, several Shaker items, pewter and canton (which was taken to the White House by George

 On one side of the kitchen is the shaker bathroom.  Note all the Shaker items are hung on pegs for easier cleaning of floors.  
To the other side of the kitchen is what would have been the maid's room.  It too is furnished in Shaker.  The cherry back
stairway was saved when the home Judge Fleming, the founder of Fleming County, was torn down.

 The upstairs hall has an original painting of the Pillsbury by local artist, Steve White.

 Summer bedroom of the Elaine when she was home is to the left and has a canopy bed, antique clothing, and more
cranberry glass.

 On the right is the master bedroom with a door leading out to the upstairs porch.  Here are lusters, marble topped tables -
this is the Victorian room.

 In the back of the house are the upstairs parlour, and the "Gone-With-The-Wind" bedroom.  Here are displayed 6
generations.  The 2 grandchildren, David and Gwendolyn, daughter, Elaine, Phyllis, her mother, Daphne Hopkins McRoberts,
her grandmother, Julia Glenn Hopkins, and her great-grandmother America Northcutt Glenn.